Packaging Waste Compliance Scheme
Packaging Compliance, In this Producer Responsibility Obligations (Packaging Waste Regulations) 1997 set targets for the British industry for the recovery and recycling of packaging waste. Under the regulations, companies above turnover and packaging thresholds have two options. They can pursue an individual route and attempt to meet these targets themselves or pass their obligations over to a Compliance Scheme. Any company that has a turnover of over two million pounds and handles or uses 50 tonnes of packaging material a year has a legal requirement to comply with the legislation. Our compliance scheme works with companies to ensure that the legal obligation is met at the lowest possible cost.
Producer Responsibility Obligations (Packaging Waste) Regulations 1997
- These regulations are the Government’s response to the 94/62/EC Directive on Packaging Waste
- The main emphasis of the regulations is to prompt recycling and recovery of packaging and to reduce the amount of packaging waste sent to landfill sites.
- It’s set to target those companies that supply packaging, which they own, to another stage in the packaging chain or to the final user of the packaging.
- The “producer” then picks up a proportion of the obligation on the packaging handled depending on the activity that has been carried out. A company is classed as a producer if it meets both of the threshold limits
- A turnover of £2 million or more in the previous year.
- Handle 50 tonnes or more of packaging in the previous year.
- Registered charities are exempt from these regulations
Our Packaging Waste Compliance Scheme provides the following services for its members:
- Site audits, including weighing of packaging
- Attend Environment Agency audits to protect the member’s interests
- Create spreadsheets to help compile the data
- Calculate the obligation of the member
- Provide the necessary proof of compliance by purchasing PRNs, costs passed onto members
- Handle all of the legal requirements for the member under the Packaging Regulations
- Provide a certificate at the end of the year informing that the obligation has been met
For further information on how we can help or for further information about the regulations please contact;
Tel: 01642 442 088
Email: Click Here..